The lock - Quai du Loing  

After the opening of the Briare canal in 1642 and the Orleans canal in 1692, the Canal du Loing enabled many boats to join the river Seine, despite the passing of twenty-six locks.

JPEG - 32.6 kb
Le Loing et son canal
The Loing river and its canal

This canal, which connects Saint-Mammès to Montargis, was built between 1719 and 1724. Owned by the Duke of Orleans, the farming company exploited the canal. Along the way, lock keepers’ houses and offices were built to ensure police security, maintenance, boat passing and toll collection.

The lock house, the Hotel of the lieutenant of the conservative-judge and of the deputy fiscal procurator of the canal are still located in a large enclosure comprising gardens and a tree nursery. Later on, the hotel was occupied by the Receiver and Controller.
Today, only the beautiful gate recalls the splendor of the Duchy. The hotel currently houses the French Waterway Agency.

JPEG - 11.1 kb
La grille de la Bourse
The gate of the Waterway Exchange
JPEG - 13.7 kb
L’hôtel de la Bourse
The Waterway Exchange Hotel

The discreet and intact lock keeper’s house remains, despite some slight modifications, as it was conceived in the eighteenth century. Its characteristic is to be capped with slate, in a region where tiles dominate.

Founded in 1749, the tree nursery had as primary role to provide trees for embellishment and ornament of the Loing canal. It also served to cultivate wicker which was then sold to the villagers.

The Saint-Mammès lock is an exception on the Loing Canal. Indeed, while all the locks are stone-faced, the Saint-Mammès lock is embanked.

To see the lock’s history : Lock

In order to promote its waterway legacy even further, the municipality has decided to tidy up the Loing quay, including the creation of a footpath called the "Bourse" and the installation of mural paintings representing the waterway trades.

Footpath called the "Bourse" opening hours :
From April 1st to September 30 : from 8.30 a.m. to 9.00 p.m.
From October 1st to March 31 : from 8.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.

JPEG - 11.3 kb
Promenade de la Bourse
The “Bourse” promenade
JPEG - 16.5 kb
Promenade de la Bourse
The “Bourse” promenade
JPEG - 16.7 kb
Promenade de la Bourse
The “Bourse” promenade

A barge called “Jonor” has also been bought. One day, perhaps, it will become a Heritage Interpretation Centre for barge life.

JPEG - 12.7 kb
Le Jonor
The barge "The Jonor"
JPEG - 13.6 kb
Le Jonor
The barge "The Jonor"
JPEG - 9.7 kb
Le Jonor
The barge "The Jonor"